Friday, June 14, 2013

Catskills, Witches and Commuting

Forest Hills, Queens, LIRR
It's Friday and the Catskill experiences of this past weekend have left me.  Everything from the  taste in my mouth, the lack of green growth filling my eyes, the undisturbed sleep, the ultimate in quietness. Gone for the time being. Place being gone. I look forward to being there again soon.
LIRR Forest Hills Station Hurtling Backwards to NYC
In Alf Evers book The Catskills: from Wilderness to Woodstock I'm reading the chapters on witches.  That strange spirituality that is in the Catskills I believe comes from the land.  



When I got home on Sunday I told my wife Beth that I had the Catskills Fever by which I meant that I was bewitched in a way by the environment.  Marcellus Hale would feel that fever  coming back from Iraq. Desert sand sun dry heat. Catskills forest green trees moss moist soil dark shaded places under branches and rock. Scorpions can hide in the desert sand.  Man can hide in the Catskills and live off the land with the spirits. 

No comments:

Post a Comment